Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Beautiful Texas Hill Country

This past weekend was my first outing since I outfitted my SUV for camping.  The weather was PERFECT and you can see from my pictures that the scenery in and around Wimberley, TX was magnificent.  Here is a link to an album with some of my photos.  

     Wimberley, Blue Hole, Jacobs Well and Blanco SP Outing


One of the reasons I wanted to go wondering is to enjoy the beauty and scenery of the Texas Hill Country and also to do some writing.  Being out in nature always helps me open my mind to new possibilities, think more clearly and just be with the great outdoors. 

One of my dearest friends texted me when I set off on my travels this weekend.  She said, “Hope I am having fun...and learning what you need to learn.” Well of course that got me thinking why am I doing this and what do I need or want to learn.

First I realized I may not need or want to learn anything.  Going camping and being out in nature helps me open my mind to new possibilities and to see the world from new perspectives.  Not having all my creature comforts around me definitely has my mind thinking of new and different solutions.  

Like, I plan to take less on my short outings in the future and locate it in different places in my SUV.  Also, one night this past week-end I cooked in my car. I decided I wouldn’t do that again unless absolutely necessary.  Cooking is a relative term when you are camping. It is more like reheating without a microwave. I also was stealth camping on the same night.  I must have picked a good spot because there was no knock on the window in the middle of the night.  

This morning, I went to Unity of Wimberley for their service.  Met lots of interesting people and enjoyed the message. I had heard Rev. Jill speak at my home church on more than one occasion.  Their church campus is on the top of a hill with the most beautiful scenic views all around. One of the requests in her message was for us all to do some activity that helps us loose ourselves.  She went to a Guess Who concert in Austin recently and said it certainly had most people in the audience loose themselves. So what will you do to loose yourself?  

After service, I thought of heading home but decided to drive over to Blanco State Park which is where I am writing and nature is one of the places that helps me loose myself. I am sitting outdoors in the park and one thing I know for sure is that camping in state parks is an easier way to go and these parks are the most beautiful places in Texas and beyond.  Of course, it helps that it is another beautiful sunny day. Temperatures should be in the 40’s again tonight which is just about perfect.

Tomorrow my new refrigerator and dishwasher will be delivered in the afternoon so I will be back to the real world and my real life once again.  My little respites in nature are just my way of stepping back and enjoying the great outdoors and for awhile loosing myself in its beauty and mystery.

And as for what I want to learn...I want to be more in touch with the peace and joy inside of me and keep playing with people who make a difference in the world which definitely bring me peace and joy.

Another thing to learn or at least it is on my bucket list is to visit all the State Parks in Texas.  That may take me awhile but I know I will enjoy seeing some of the beauty of my home State of Texas.  I have been to several over the years but this year I have already been to five and I will plan my travels to get many more in next year.  The Gypsy is going to start roaming in 2020 and keep on rambling.

Abundant blessings, joy and peace.


















2 comments:

  1. Losing oneself in nature is a good way to find oneself in God. 😊 Say--how many Texas State Parks are there anyway? I heard of an exercise where the author put in a container one stone for each Saturday she anticipated she had left (according to actuarial tables). It seems doing something like this would make me more mindful about what I value doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The internet says there are more than 80 state parks in Texas and I plan to see most of them. Being outdoors and in nature helps me be at peace and one with God.

    ReplyDelete