Sunday, January 19, 2020

Officially Confirmed....I am different

Many of us think and feel we are different but several years ago I had it confirmed.  In my journey to become a Licensed Unity Teacher, I had to take a psychological evaluation after I had been studying and taking courses for a few years. 

On my first trip to Unity Village for more advanced training, all of us had to take a psychological test to see if we were fit enough to be licensed.  At the end of that week, you met with the psychologist and received your review.  

I remember sitting down for my review.  The first thing she said to me is in all my years of testing people, I have never seen anyone who is so far outside of the bell curve.  You can probably imagine my shock and all the feelings and thoughts that went through my head at the once.

One of the few things I can remember about the conversation is thinking you have to communicate with and respond to this person.  I knew I had to carry on a conversation and keep some level of composure.  With thoughts going through my head about you've spent thousands of dollars on your training and hundreds of hours and now you tell me I may not qualify for this program.

I remember her asking me some questions but to be honest there is little I remember her asking me. The conversation lasted for about an hour.  When it was over, I knew she had to discuss my test results with her peers who were working with other candidates.  After it was over, I know I allowed myself to freak out for awhile.

I went and sat on the grounds of beautiful Unity Village in Lees Summit, Missouri and allowed my thoughts to catch up with my emotions.  I remember having a very long phone conversation with my dear friend Wayne who had only recently come back in to my life.  One of the things I knew is that I had to go back to Texas and have a serious conversation with my minister about what may or may not happen while awaiting the results of the testing.

Three or four weeks past before Rev. Karen got the results.  By some miracle and perhaps some divine intervention I was given the go ahead and was able to proceed with my training.  To this day, I don't know how I got approved for the program. 

So for those of my friends, family and loved ones who always wondered why or if I was different it was confirmed...I am different.  When I was younger this would have been devastating to me to have had this confirmed but I am glad to say we all get a little wiser as we grow older.

As I sit here writing this, I remembered a card my Mother gave me in the 1990s that said this very thing.  This card still exists in my Wisdom course autobiography.  One of the things it said is, "I haven't always agreed with your decisions but I hope you know that I respect your courage and independence in making them.  You're dong all you can to be the person you want to be, and I admire that."  To some it up, it confirmed once again I am different and even my parents knew it.  I know all my friends, family and loved ones have been sure of it at one time or another.

I know we are all unique individuals but few have had it confirmed.

Vive la difference!









No comments:

Post a Comment