Monday, January 13, 2020

The soul does not use words...

Fr. Richard Rohr from the Center for Action and Contemplation writes on 1/8/2020 about Inner Silence.  A quote from this meditation is:

The soul does not use words. It surrounds words with space, and that is what I mean by silence. Silence is a kind of wholeness. It can absorb contraries, paradoxes, and contradictions. Maybe that is why we do not like silence. There is nothing to argue about in true inner silence, and the mind likes to argue. It gives us something to do. The ego loves something it can take sides on. Yet true interior silence does not allow you to take sides. That is one reason contemplation is so liberating and calming. There are no sides to take and only a wholeness to rest in—which frees us to act on behalf of love.  

A link to the whole daily meditation follows:

     Inner Silence

I have taught meditation classes but like most of us we tend to think meditation or going into the silence has to look a certain way or as I have often said in my life "there is a right way to do it and I'm not doing it that way".

As I have gotten older, I try my best to not have things need to look a certain way.  Yes, I still forget and may always do this but even a "peaceful pause" throughout our day when we simply stop whatever we are doing and take a deep breath and let it out is a type of meditation...a letting go of the hustle and bustle of daily life.

Another thing I just realized is that I have learned to enjoy my Pockets of Peace throughout my day and busy life that I have chosen.  I am enjoying one of these as I write this post.

You can and will find many definitions for meditation and going into the silence but one of the things I enjoy most about teaching about meditation is helping class participants see that there are many types and forms of meditation.  Just remember you are the one that gets to choose what meditation means to you and for you.  Like most things in life...it is not about doing it the right way.  It's about finding what is right and good for you.

May you grow still enough to hear the splintering of starlight in the winter sky and the roar at earth’s fiery core.
BR. DAVID STEINDL-RAST

Abundant blessings, peace and joy!










No comments:

Post a Comment