Monday, June 15, 2009

Bee in a bottle

Years ago, Stu and I learned a GREAT distinction about how we and most people live their lives like a bee in a bottle. Always buzzing around inside and never able to get out and not understanding why they are not getting anywhere.

Day one of my new class yesterday went VERY well for the first half of the class. Everything was on schedule and we had a plan for the second half. Nothing went according to plan in the second half. I already knew that we had to go row by row to access the internet at the club. Everything went well with the back row and then all heck broke loose. Each student was attempting to set up a Google Gmail address. We are still not sure of everything that went wrong. It could have been that we over loaded the network at the computer club or we overloaded Gmail with information coming through the same network intended for different Gmail accounts. Gmail might have been unable to determine which data went with which request...but the truth is only a third of the class participants got their Gmail accounts successfully set up. We think. Some stayed after the class and some are scheduled to come in today which is not a real class day but I scheduled the classroom in case anyone needed extra hand holding. Good thing I did that because we all needed extra hand holding during and after the class.

Many good things did happen in the class. I had six helpers and I usually have none. All the helpers were people who knew how to dance a fast dance when things went south. One of those helpers was my husband Stu. He actually left the class at the beginning because he saw I had enough helpers. He and I were laughing when I cleared with him later about how the class went. Laughing that it was probably better that he was not there.

Recently, I am sure he thought several times that I have been like a bee in the bottle with my hectic schedule, lack of sleep and some times unreal pace. He had commented to me recently that he could see that I was ok and that all my "doing" was not adversely effecting me and who I am "being". But today, if he had been in the class, he would have been sure that I was a bee in the bottle with the lid on. In reality, I was VERY calm on the firing line so to speak. One or two of my helpers were a little frazzled but some of the students from the back row stepped up and tried to help other participants. I'll have to admit that other than the back row we were not very successful. But through it all I was able to keep my calm and help everybody else keep calm as well. We did have to breath a few times to remember we were having FUN. Having FUN is one of the top goals in my classes. Not making anyone feel stupid is another.

My friend and class helper Barry and a VP at the club did stay long after all the participants had left to talk with me and coach me on what could be done different and better in the future. Thanks Barry. He actually helped me figure out a few prerequisites for the class. Every student in the class already had one kind of email or another. So, basic mouse skills will definitely be a prerequisite. I also think that I will ask the students to have their Google Gmail accounts set up before the class. I'll let them decide this on Wednesday when the class concludes. I would much rather spend the class time showing them all the GREAT things that Gmail will do and how they can have a better email address that they never have to change. Regardless, of who provides their internet access.

Since some participants could not stay after class yesterday or come in to the club today. There are a few Gmail accounts that I will be setting up for some people before tomorrow (Wednesday). That is a small price to pay for the confusion and frustration that we all experienced.

So, no I was not a bee in a bottle today but I told Stu he is more than welcome to call me on it if he thinks I have actually shut the lid on the bottle. Otherwise he should just keep quite when I work hard, play hard and have lots of FUN. I know each day that I am closer and closer to my REAL purpose in life. I pray that I may actually realize my purpose in this lifetime. If not, I plan to have FUN trying.

In joyful partnership,

Cathy

cathy.the.teacher@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment