Saturday, June 6, 2009

You Are Not Responding to Them

When you get upset about something some one say or does you are not responding to them / me. This is even true when you think they meant to say/do what they did but it is especially true when what they said was just an innocent request or not even a request at all. I and some others believe that you are responding to something from your past. Something or someone who upset you in the past. It is NEVER about what just happened or didn't happen.

One of my sisters and I were just laughing today about the way she experiences military or retired military people. They hardly have to breath for her to be upset by who they are "being". I am just kidding about the just breathing part. But, she and I both have an already always listening (I'll talk about that another day) about who military and retired military people are "being". Maybe that comes from being raised near San Antonio. There were a lot of these guys and gals around. So mind you, we have our radar up when they walk in the room...ready to be upset by what they say or don't say. She told me that some times she just plays the "dumb blonde" and says I don't know about the military life or rank or whatever...would you mind explaining it to me. That does shut them up pretty quick.

Anyway the principal of you are not responding to them works both ways. They are not responding to you when they get upset about what you said, did, or didn't do. I don't suggest you point this out to them at the time unless you want to get in to a full blown argument but later you maybe able to do that when it is more appropriate. You would be surprised about what a conversation like that can open up for you and for other person when you have it at the right time.

That's it for today. Stu and I are finishing off the trim on our new fire-rated doors.

In joyful partnership,

Cathy

cathy.the.teacher@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment