Saturday, May 16, 2009

You can't build possibility on top of "do do"

When I am making major transitions in my life one thing I've found to be most important to get myself started in a new direction is to complete the past. This is especially true if you didn't want the "do do" that came in to your life in the first place or you feel guilty about changing your mind and going another direction. There was a time that I didn't know what the word completion really meant. I didn't have the distinction. It is one of the most powerful tools in my in my tool belt.

Let me give you a few examples from my past. I have been blessed to have two soul mates in my life. I was in a relationship with the first one for nearly ten years. It was a VERY powerful relationship. He is to this day one of the great teachers and coaches of my life. One day he just walked out of my life and we have never seen each other since. You can imagine there were a few tears and sleeplessness nights. Now I can't say that there weren't some good reason for the break up but it mostly had to do with building the relationship on a rocking, unstable foundation. Even though we have never seen each other since, we continued to communicate by phone on a regular basis for nearly two years after the break up and are still friends to this day.

During that time God sent me an angel named George in the form of a bank president who introduced me to Landmark Education. Over time the distinction completion began to take hold and through the help of one of my newly found friends, Nancy, I was able to put the past behind me. My first soul mate and I were able to talk about the good and the bad of our relationship and to forgive ourselves and each other to be best of our abilities for the pain and harm we had caused each other . We wrote a powerful completion declaration which both of us signed. After the declaration was signed Nancy and I even took it another step further and had a burning ceremony to burn some things from his and my past together.

After that I was ready to create a new even more powerful relationship with someone new. Within just a few months I met and fell in love with Stu, soul mate number two. Isn't it funny how things work out like that. How Stu's and my relationship all happened is a story for another day. Understanding completion and taking steps to have that show up for you is a powerful way to put the past behind you and begin a future that you couldn't even have imagined.

Here's another example. When Stu and I retired in 1997 we went sailing off in to the sunset on our 38' Irwin sailboat. That was going to be our retirement for the rest of our lives. We were going to spend half a year on the boat and half a year in Costa Rica. Well we had no other home for nearly two years. After our first trip to Costa Rica we decided Mexico might be better for the off season because we could drive our car. Well we were sitting down in Mexico when we both got that what we were doing was "not it".

We went back to Houston, had the boat shipped from Florida to Houston and started to create a new life. Now we could have beaten ourselves up for all the money, time and energy we put in to the boating life but we talked it out and forgave ourselves for the money we had spent and the dreams we had lost. After that we set out to create our new life and that is when Habitat for Humanity came in to our lives. We fell in love with this organization almost from the start. We worked and/or volunteered full time for Habitat for nearly eight years. We still do volunteer project work for them on occasion. Again, when you powerfully complete the past it's funny how quickly things move forward to an even more powerful future that you couldn't even have imagined when you started.

Look at who you need to forgive including yourself and others to move forward. I'll talk more about forgiveness in the next few days. But for now, please share with me your experiences about forgiving the past and moving forward. How have you been able to do that? Have you been able to move forward with or without forgiveness? What have your experiences been in this area? You can put your comments right here in this blog or e-mail them to be privately.

In joyful partnership,

Cathy

cathy.the.teacher@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment